CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 20, 2012

Thanks for coming out. . .

Remember that kid in gym who everyone laughed at, because they were fat or uncoordinated or just not athletic in any way?   That was never me.  I was never the last picked, I was always the one doing the picking.  "Thanks for coming out" - that's what my friends and I would whisper to each other about those poor kids. You see, up until I finished university I was a pretty healthy and fit chick!  I played lots of sports, never thought about what went into my mouth, because I didn't have to.  Wow, it was easy to be smug back then.

I learned a bit this week about what it must feel like to be that poor kid - out of shape and feeling a bit lost as to where to even start.  Exhausted by every effort, sweating profusely and wondering if my heart will actually explode in my chest.

Unlike that kid, though, I am blessed with an incredible group of supportive family, friends, chorus divas, colleagues, online buddies, and of course, the amazing trainers at BDHQ.  Your encouraging comments and messages are inspiring, and wonderful. Thank you.  I needed them this week when I got down to business with this whole training thing!

I started on Wednesday with "The Burnout" ( and I know that it is called that because everything burns when you are done!)  I actually took the bus in the snow to get to the class.   I walked in and was so warmly welcomed by Dawn, that I was tricked into a sense of  "I can do this".  Then I saw the tires.  Seriously.  You want me to do what with the tires?  Lift it over my head and do a squat?  More than once?  Really?

They weren't kidding.  Tires, cardio, squats - I played along, all the while praying that I wouldn't barf or cry on my first day.  This body has not been challenged by more than a trip down the stairs to get bag of chips for a long time!!!  It was hard.  Really, really hard.  And humbling.  I have a long way to go.  But man I felt great when I was done.  I felt strong, and capable - a veritable ninja of the workout world - I could lift a tire and do a squat with it and not cry, or have a heart attack, or quit because I was afraid of failing.   Thanks for coming out - no problem - I 'll be back again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Three years ago, my doctor used the word "obese" at my annual check-up. That sent me to Weight Watchers and a similar journey. It's a great thing you're doing for yourself and I will be cheering for you!

Trudy Smith said...

Hi,

I am so proud of you. I will be following your success. I would like to get motivated to loss some weight and get more active and I am using you for motivation.

You go girl!

Trudy

Post a Comment